Welcome to the Charles Lewis Institute
The Charles Lewis Institute was created in 1997 as an advisory and philanthropic entity for the purpose of supporting the mission and work of Orlando Health UF Health Cancer Center. The mission of the Cancer Center is inspiring hope through extraordinary care.
Orlando Health UF Health Cancer Center is part of a fully integrated statewide cancer treatment and research system in association with University of Florida Health. Not only is it one of the largest clinical and basic cancer research centers in the world, it is one of the premier providers of cancer care in Florida. The Charles Lewis Institute exists to support and guide this groundbreaking organization as we continue to move forward, making new inroads into understanding, treating, and defeating cancer.
Programs, Services and Departments Supported by the Charles Lewis Institute
To fulfill the mission and vision of the Cancer Center and the expectations of the Institute as called for in its "purpose statement," the Charles Lewis Institute supports the following programs, services and departments at the Cancer Center:
The Cancer Center is committed to providing the best educational programs available in oncology to physicians, clinicians, staff and to all patients and their families. By providing the latest information available on medical advances and research related to cancer through innovative technologies, caregivers and patients alike are well-equipped to wage war against the enemy: cancer.
For example, every week physicians at the center connect with internationally renowned cancer specialists at UF Health via "telemedicine" to discuss the most difficult cancer patient cases.
For patients and their families, our website provides convenient access to the latest cancer information. Finally, the Cancer Center educational specialists reach out to the community about cancer prevention, early detection and other programs available through the center.
Our clinical research department develops and oversees all biotechnological, basic and translational research activities of the Cancer Center. Today, cancer research is making significant strides toward understanding this terrible disease, and as a result, promising new treatments for cancer are being developed.
The Cancer Center is home to cutting-edge treatments, research and technology and highly trained physicians that have contributed greatly to the world's campaign against cancer.
The Cancer Center's Cancer Research Institute conducts basic laboratory research using animal models, in vitro culture techniques, and highly sophisticated bench research technologies. The lab's purpose is to further the scope of knowledge of processes that spark cell transformation into malignant forms and perpetuate the cancer growth phenomenon in an effort to identify the many variables in retarding or ceasing the cancer process.
As the Cancer Center seeks to fulfill its mission of "Inspiring hope through extraordinary care.”, technology has emerged as a vital link to defeating cancer. A technology steering group is charged with advising the Cancer Center, Orlando Health, Arnold Palmer Medical Center Foundation and the Orlando Health Foundation about the most effective and appropriate technologies. Dramatic advances have been made in two primary areas: radiation therapy and medical information systems (also known as "informatics").
The Cancer Center's Wellness Program is intended to create a bridge between standard medical care and spiritual healing through complementary and integrative medicine and includes the following:
- Spiritual care services with elective spiritual and/or grief counseling and a non-denominational chapel in the Charles Lewis Pavilion
- Multiple disease-specific, stage of treatment-specific and gender-sensitive support groups
- A peaceful, inviting atmosphere suited for contemplation or meditation within the Lewis Pavillion
- Access to palliative and supportive care programs with emphasis on end-of-life issues, advanced directives and assessment for hospice care referrals
- Sessions in meditation, guided imagery and other "expressive" therapies
- Lectures on complementary and integrative therapies
- Social services, including mental health counseling
- Nutritional counseling by a licensed oncology-specific dietitian
- The Charles Lewis Institute will continue to support these important programs, services and departments and others that will undoubtedly emerge as the Cancer Center grows in the scope of services provided as well as in prestige and recognition for its medical excellence